Father To Son


Dear sonny,
The hour has come
To pluckily await tomorrow
And understand the galling past.
How unfair for the sun
To leave us in darkness
And leave in us darkness;
Let’s savor the meek moonlight,
Bring a seat for your comfort
And empty your ears to hear
What someday holds.
I could recall nights ago
I heard you kick
When mama blubbered for food
With four months left for you to wake
In her drippy belly.
Then we were
Penny wise, penny foolish;
Our hands held no pound
And ‘Akara’ and bread no longer could hold
The tummy fury that long.
O yes, we were mendicants,
We are mendicants
To the disgrace of fate
That deprived our toiling rewards,
That we couldn’t hold silver spoons,
That penury was our lot
As the ground stashed many rains
Of tears of our grief from grudges against life.
Someday, one day,
May the gods be weary from souls’ laments
And show mercy to heavy hearts
Repressed in the sour rhythms of time.
Decades have drained all of me
That I hanker after hope to snatch
My soul pleading death to strike.
Few breaths abide in me
And nothing but squabbles from the past
Do I have to render your tender soul.
The odd is this:
You may live, you may die,
You may die, you may live;
Whatever it is you receive,
With you must suffering die
And tell tomorrow that I tried,
That the past killed today in me
And killed me in today.
Remember this day
My son,
Remember this day,
My voice wept before you
As I leave courage in you
To face tomorrow stronger
And live my life no longer.
Dear sonny,
Survive, survive, survive,
Survive, survive, survive,
For my moment is up,
For this misery must forever stop.
Dear son,
Remember this day,
Forget not today
And live my life no longer.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...